Cleaning Info and Tips to Follow During the COVID-19 Crisis
1) Clean with a soap cleaner FIRST. The surface must be clean so that can be sanitized. Soap also breaks down the virus.
2) Sanitize — for the coronavirus you need to leave the solution to “dwell” for at least a minute for it to be effective. (It takes 10 minutes of “dwell” time to kill bacteria.)
3) Dilute your solution correctly (follow label instructions). 10-1 (water to bleach) is the highest dilution you should use when using bleach. Don’t mix Chlorine bleach with any other cleaner.
4) Vinegar is not a disinfectant. It can reduce bacteria by 90%, but not 100%.
5) Tea Tree Oil is not a disinfectant and it can be deadly for cats.
6) Steam works — you need to steam a surface for 15-30 seconds for a surface to be sanitized. (Be careful—many surfaces can’t tolerate that much steam—for instance, laminate flooring usually can’t take steam for 15 seconds without being damaged.)
7) Check the label for Coronavirus. If the label on a cleaning product says that it kills “Coronavirus” then it will work to kill Covid-19. Just be sure to let it sit for at least a minute.
8) Be sure to fold your cleaning towel and use a new section for each touchpoint that you clean. You should be able to clean 8 touch points with one rag.
9) Wash and dry your laundry on the highest temperature possible to kill the virus.